Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Being engaged is hard....





Learning to serve one another in every circumstance is hard.
Learning what it means to respect TJ in everything I say and the way I speak to him is hard.
Learning what it means to pursue purity and holiness is hard.
Learning what 1 Corinthians means when it says "Love is patient" is hard.
Understanding little by little what it means that we (the church) are the bride of Christ is hard.
Learning how to communicate when we hit roadblocks is hard.
Being attacked by the Devil all the time, is hard.


Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy 1 Peter 1:13-16

The struggles we are going through are a constant reminder of what our Savior did for me. To be the perfect sacrifice with all the junk in this world. The fact that marriage is supposed to paint a picture of how Christ loves the church, that He gave up His life for her. It blows my mind. I am starting to see such a small small fraction of what that might look like. It's overwhelming. Learning to persevere when our relationship isn't easy has built more character over the last 3 years than I could ever imagine.

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.


Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

And this is our goal. That our marriage will be everything this passage from 1 Peter 3 says. That my attitude will be one of respect and submission towards TJ, even when I don't feel like it. That my spirit will be gentle and quiet. I am engaged to a fabulously wonderful man, and it has been such a blessing to spend the last 3 years of my life with him. Please keep praying for us, especially me, as God changes my heart and breaks old habits that I have had for 21 years. Please pray that I allow God to change me into the Biblical wife I need to be
-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers